Thursday, January 8, 2009

Whew! (Bridget)

The holiday season has come to a close and I look forward to taking a deep breath and relaxing. Still not sure when that will happen, but hopefully this weekend or even as early as Friday! I feel like I have been going non-stop since November. I definitely tried to do too much for Christmas, as usual. As much as I tell myself to just relax and enjoy the season, I always manage to work myself into a frenzy. I was really proud of myself for "getting everything done" but afterwards I questioned the point of it all since I was too exhausted to even enjoy the magic of Christmas.
I love Christmas and I'm always in search of the elusive "Christmas Spirit." I seem to get it as soon as winter comes which is October here! I feel like listening to Christmas music, I feel like shopping for gifts and doing Christmas crafts...then Thanksgiving comes and after that I feel like it's a mad rush to "get everything done!" I feel my anxiety level rise exponentially each day when my darling children gleefully announce how many days are left until the big day. I make lists of things I need to "get done" and as soon as some are crossed off, more find their way onto the list. Is anyone pressuring me to do these things? Not so much, although I did have to remind the boys (read: threaten them with present withdrawal) that they were not allowed to bug me about wrapping their presents or decorating the house or putting up the tree until all outside gifts were wrapped and mailed off.
The kids were all very willing to do things for me and I couldn't have "gotten everything done" without their help. I was amazed to find that by the time we headed off to Mass on Christmas Eve, I was READY for Christmas! It's always magical to be in the beautiful Cathedral all decorated for Christmas and with my whole family around me.
I wasn't quite as tired Christmas morning as I was last year when we had a 2 month old but I was really tired all day. It didn't help that I was 6 months pregnant either. Usually, the week after Christmas is very relaxing and I even find time to play games with the kids but somehow that didn't happen this year. Lonny bought me a new stove and fridge for Christmas! They were delivered 3 days after Christmas, so that meant that I spent that time between Christmas and delivery day cleaning the oven, fridge and freezer inside, outside, underneath and to the sides! Mind you, I'm not complaining! I love my new appliances!
By the time I felt like I could relax, it was time to start school back up and now work samples are due! I'm sure that I will find some time to enjoy that after-holidays calm sometime before the baby comes. Happy New Year!

No comments: