Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Long Time! (Bridget)

Okay, I know it's been a long time since we've updated this blog but there were gardens to plant, leaves to rake, sunshine to enjoy.... I've really been enjoying outdoor work. The chokecherry trees in the back yard are in full bloom and the air is perfumed with their lovely scent. As soon as Ethan goes down for his nap, I'm outside planting, weeding, starting a compost pile, digging a new flower bed, hanging out clothes, anything to be outside in the sun! Now it's cooler and overcast with a forecast of rain for the next week and a half so I can get indoor stuff done.
I planted my first real garden this year. For the past couple of years, I've only done containers but I've been really wanting more of a harvest so this year I dug out one of my big rhubarb plants to give to a friend and transplanted all the delphiniums which were hogging garden space and planted lettuce, beans, radishes and carrots. The lettuce and radishes are already up. I also planted peas and beans in containers. Hopefully by next year I'll have another small raised bed to work with. In the meantime, it's nice to start small until I really know what I'm doing.
I got some really disappointing news last week - my dad and sister are not going to be visiting this month after all. My dad is having some health problems and the trip would just be too much. I didn't realize how much I was looking forward to some of my family visiting, for once, until the visit was canceled. Next year though, my whole family will be getting together in VT and we will be there, by hook or by crook!

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

We are sad not to be visiting as well! I was looking forward to seeing everyone - especially Ethan as I've not seen him yet! Sometimes I forget there's another baby - and then I remember and am so happy! Looking forward to the reunion.

Enjoy your garden. I've been cutting lettuce like crazy and the broccoli and tomatoes are growing. The weather's been beautiful after a heat wave.

Miss you all - love Auntie Gretchen!